[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ 2 style luxury cap (PR#1437)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ 2 style luxury cap (PR#1437)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 09:38:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 07:31:56AM -0700, Raahul Kumar wrote:

> --- "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, 6 May 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> > > This is a continuation of Davide and Mike Jings work. Civ 2 had a cap on
> > > luxuries, preventing large cities from enjoying more than 2 * their city
> > size
> > > in luxury.
> >
> > I want some arguments on why this is a good thing. Looks like a bad hack
> > to me.
>
> The totality of my argument is that Civ 2 did it this way.

Which suffices, with the drawback that it doesn't help the Freeciv mode.

> Now as to the hack
> bit. If you're talking about my implementation, how would you prefer to see me
> implement it?

The usual way in Freeciv is to introduce a server/ruleset
variable "luxurycap".  (Even if Civ II behaviour was actually desirable,
it's a good idea to make arbitrary cutoff points configurable.)

There"s another ugly hack in the code called the "civstyle" variable.
If doing a whole new variable just for this change seems overkill to you
you can use this one.

--
Reinier