[Freeciv-Dev] Re: server/settlers.c cleanup 3

To: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: server/settlers.c cleanup 3
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 15:25:24 -0400

At 10:19 AM 02/04/14 -0500, Mike Kaufman wrote:
>On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 04:57:19PM +0200, Per I Mathisen wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Apr 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:

>does the return value for amortize ever find itself in the denominator
>of some division?
>

>> > BTW: In another project we came to the result that double was faster
>> > than float.
>>
>> I'll test that.
>
>I highly doubt this is a general rule. Increasing precision should
>always decrease your performance.

Unless the bitpaths in the chip always ran (in parallel) at double
precision levels even with float values, and any algorithms for
double were more heavily optimized because thay were always used
and were the only oines that really mattered.

>-mike

Besides, float runs in parallel chip units and thus only pipelined
operations that interact with shorter integer pipelines will ever be
seen to slow the main intergral code processing.

Cheers,
RossW
=====