[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ 2 Style Fighters

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ 2 Style Fighters
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 19:53:27 +0200 (MEST)

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> Also I have a problem with Stealth Bombers obsoleting Bombers.  Bombers
> cost 120 shields and have attack of 12.  Stealth Bombers cost 160 shields
> and have attack 14 (they have higher defence but they can still fall prey
> to Fighters).  Obsoleting rules mean that you are forced to build Stealth
> although they are not much better and much more expensive.

High Tech sucks, eh?

> And they still cannot take out a battleship (success prob 7%), which also
> cost the same amount!!  In fact, nothing can take out a battleship (while
> in reality it's a vulnerable target for planes).

Absolutely. Want a quick fix?

F_SHIPBUSTER - triple attack power against ships, granted to a unit that
you can call torpedo bomber or some such. Coupled with Raahul's patch,
giving fighters 400% bonus to defense against aircraft, suddenly aircraft
carriers start making sense.

But that might be making island defenses a bit too simple. If the attacker
cannot yet build yet build carriers or aegis, he's royally screwed (you
could argue he deserves to be, however).

> I guess a more balanced situation would be:
> Battleship:
> vulnerable vs advanced planes and missiles
> not vulnerable vs other marine units (exc. battleship)
> AEGIS Cruiser:
> not vulnerable vs any air units
> vulnerable vs some marine units (battleship, submarine)
>
> Bomber:
> good attack except against SAM or AEGIS-defended units
> vulnerable vs fighters
> Stealth:
> excellent attack except against AEGIS-defended units
> vulnerable vs Stealth fighters
> very costly (maybe even 2 shields a turn to maintain)
> Missiles:
> two take out a battleship with profit

I agree completely.

BTW, why don't "Stealth" Fighter/Bombers have F_PARTIAL_INVIS flag?

Yours,
Per

"While we're all in favor of Arafat doing more to suppress violence in
the Middle East, we fear that he doesn't have all that much influence on
the Israeli government. " --Sam Smith