[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ 2 Style Fighters

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ 2 Style Fighters
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 13:06:16 +0200 (MEST)

On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> When a Fighter or Stealth Fighter is stationed in a city that is attacked by
> air units other than a fighter, the defending units scramble, gaining a
> defence
> factor four times their normal value. However, they gain no additional
> protection from SAM Missile Batteries(because the SAMs don't want to down
> their
> own planes).
>
> This patch implements Civ 2 style fighters.

I think I'm for this. Otherwise fighters are useless.

The question is, does this make SAM useless? Ok, SAM doesn't have shield
upkeep, but fighters are more flexible, can defend city, and cost less.

Fighter: Build cost 60, att 4, def 3, move 10, vision 2, upkeep 1 shield,
defensive value vs bombers is 12. (Interestingly, fighters do get city
wall bonus when defending against land attackers.)

SAM: Build cost 100, upkeep 2 gold, defensive value against bombers is x2
(that is, 12 for mech inf)

Yours,
Per

"While we're all in favor of Arafat doing more to suppress violence in
the Middle East, we fear that he doesn't have all that much influence on
the Israeli government. " --Sam Smith