[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ 2 Style Fighters

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ 2 Style Fighters
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 04:44:44 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> > When a Fighter or Stealth Fighter is stationed in a city that is attacked
> by air units other than a fighter, the defending units scramble, gaining a
> defence factor four times their normal value. However, they gain no
additional
> > protection from SAM Missile Batteries(because the SAMs don't want to down
> their own planes).
> >
> > This patch implements Civ 2 style fighters.
>
> I think I'm for this. Otherwise fighters are useless.

It's not a question of usefulness. One of the stated goals of Freeciv is 100%
Civ 2 compliance. This takes us most of the way.

> The question is, does this make SAM useless? Ok, SAM doesn't have shield
> upkeep, but fighters are more flexible, can defend city, and cost less.
>
> Fighter: Build cost 60, att 4, def 3, move 10, vision 2, upkeep 1 shield,
> defensive value vs bombers is 12. (Interestingly, fighters do get city
> wall bonus when defending against land attackers.)

Bizarre, but what do you think of the incredibly stupid decision to let Aegis
have benefit of SAM and mountains? 288 defence. This would be useful for wonder
cities/capital.

> SAM: Build cost 100, upkeep 2 gold, defensive value against bombers is x2
> (that is, 12 for mech inf)

I'll make the calculations far harder for you. My upcoming helicopter patch
will make helis penalised when attacked by fighters. We will finally be Civ 2
compliant(according to the manual I have open).

Consider: city has four mech inf, we build SAM, we can stand off 4 stealth
bombers.

City has one defender: we build SAM, takes longer, cost more. A fighter is a
better deal in that instance.

Number of land defenders(if their def is 6) > 2 we build SAM, else fighter. A
fighter has some other advantages. He can go out and destroy stacks of stealth
bombers/air units. When Greg's patch gets into CVS, the AI will be better off
building fighters.

If we have Aegis unit defending in a city, ALWAYS build SAM.