[Freeciv-Dev] Re: quick and dirty autogen.sh patch

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: quick and dirty autogen.sh patch
From: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 17:11:39 +0200

Dear diary, on Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 05:04:16PM CEST, I got a letter,
where Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> told me, that...
> On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 04:04:26PM +0200, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> > On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > > Can you explain the task of libtoolize. What does it take and what
> > > files does it produce/update?
> >
> > It is a while since I made this patch, and it was a rather quick hack (as
> > the subject indicates). If you are serious about including it, I'll sit
> > down and have a more thorough look at it.
>
> Please do.
>
> > > Should we take this opportunity and also remove configure? This would
> > > mean that we add the autoconf and automake as dependencies for CVS
> > > developers.
> >
> > If you take out configure, there is no reason to stop there. Makefile,
> > Makefile.in and config.h are all generated in the same process.

In fact, it's IMHO quite uncommon to HAVE them in CVS ;).

> > There is only one problem with that: We add the ancient autoconf2.13 as
> > a dependency, instead of the modern autoconf2.5, so some developers are
> > going to get significant problems.
> >
> > So I suggest we don't do that, yet.
>
> Question to the freeciv-dev readers: what autoconf to you use?

Autoconf version 2.13
automake (GNU automake) 1.4-p5

And I'm not going to upgrade. From my point of view, further versions are only
bringing problems to me, requiring some obscure files like 'depcomp' for no
apparent reason, not preserving backwards compatibility, making much larger,
more bloated ./configure scripts (and the generated scripts have also uglier
--help).

--

                                Petr "Pasky" Baudis

.
Teamwork is essential -- it allows you to blame someone else.
.