[Freeciv-Dev] Re: savegames don't maintain state

To: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: savegames don't maintain state
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 17:48:50 +0200

On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 12:32:32AM -0600, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> it seems that savegames aren't maintaining game state (despite the
> railroad fix I just committed)
>
> to reproduce:
>
> 1. run your favorite autogame with saveturns=1
> 2. pick a random savegame, and back up the next couple of incremented
>    savegames after that one.
> 3. load that savegame and start it.
> 4. compare the savegames from the 2nd run to the 1st run. Note that they
>    are different.
>
> why? not certain. someone else can probably shed more light on this than
> I. From the differences, I surmise that we are not loading the game
> state in the same place that we saved it---we're not screwing up the save
> process itself---and the ai is getting to move around, increase city
> size whatever, and we're not getting to see it.

There were complaints about this before on the list. Though you
are working on the AI quite a lot, I think the reason is still
that some AI action takes place when you load a savegame; - if
you don't interrupt (save/reload) the game, these actions are a
bit delayed. This relates things like autoattack.

You won't ask me for source code references ... :)

> PS: why is it that I never see any saved goto routes? Have I just not
> looked at enough savegames?

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/