[Freeciv-Dev] Re: quick and dirty autogen.sh patch

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: quick and dirty autogen.sh patch
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 16:04:26 +0200 (MEST)

On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
> Can you explain the task of libtoolize. What does it take and what
> files does it produce/update?

It is a while since I made this patch, and it was a rather quick hack (as
the subject indicates). If you are serious about including it, I'll sit
down and have a more thorough look at it.

If libtool anything is in there, it is a mistake. We don't use libtool
(fortunately). Any check for libtool and any call to libtoolize should be
removed.

> Is it correct that there is no standard way of constructing an
> autogen.sh?

There is no standard way, but most people copy their autogen.sh from
another project, so they all look pretty similar, AFAIK.

> Have you created your version by yourself or copied from
> elsewhere?

I copied mine from gstreamer.

> Since the autogen.sh has an option it should also have an "--help" and
> "-h" to publish that fact.

Agreed.

> Do we need libtool check?

No.

> Can you remove the pkg-config check?

Yes.

> I'm for always removing config.cache.

Ok.

> Please remove CONFIGURE_OPT.

I'll look at it. Don't remember what that was.

> Is it correct that with this patch applied we can remove acinclude.m4
> from the CVS tree?

Yes.

> What about other files? aclocal.m4?

Yes.

> Should we take this opportunity and also remove configure? This would
> mean that we add the autoconf and automake as dependencies for CVS
> developers.

If you take out configure, there is no reason to stop there. Makefile,
Makefile.in and config.h are all generated in the same process.

There is only one problem with that: We add the ancient autoconf2.13 as
a dependency, instead of the modern autoconf2.5, so some developers are
going to get significant problems.

So I suggest we don't do that, yet.

I'll give porting to 2.5 a shot after the release. That will require a
relaxation of the usual quality-of-patch rules, since it will need lots
and lots of testing by developers to get it exactly right on all the
various platforms.

Yours,
Per

"While we're all in favor of Arafat doing more to suppress violence in
the Middle East, we fear that he doesn't have all that much influence on
the Israeli government. " --Sam Smith