[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Idea/suggestion: Different heights

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Idea/suggestion: Different heights
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:46:00 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> They do climb hills all the time ;-). You're right in that the idea that
> anyone
> would go climbing the Himalayan range is ridiculous. On the other hand, the
> puny excuse for mountains in Europe(Alps) could be crossed by an overweight
> elephant.

You obviously haven't seen the mountain ranges here in Norway :-)

> So you are proposing that in real life cannons move close to an opponent
> before
> attacking?

They move within range, yes. Even howitzers could not shoot from Bonn to
Berlin, which would be about one tile distance in most *civ maps.

> I hate the fact that currently if I battle Evil_Per, I cannot use tactics to
> defeat him. There is no way for me to use artillery on high ground,
> combined tactics with aircraft and ground units to beat you. There is one and
> only one way to win. More units.

Freeciv is not a tactical wargame, but a game of strategy. If you want to
defeat me, attack where I am weak and defend where I am strong. Classical
Sun Tzu. (I really recommend reading his book "The Art of War".)

Yours,
Per

"Capitalism is the extraordinary belief that the nastiest of men,
for the nastiest of reasons, will somehow work for the benefit of
us all." -- John Maynard Keynes