[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Idea/suggestion: Different heights

To: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Adolf J. Winterer" <Adolf.J.Winterer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Idea/suggestion: Different heights
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 22:00:23 -0400 (AST)

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Mike Kaufman wrote:

> The line-of-sight is interesting, and can perhaps be taken care of with
> judicious use of fog-of-war: i.e. if a unit has a vision radius of two, but
> a hill is adjacent, then the unit the tile on the far side of the hill
> would be fogged despite the the vision range.

So if I apply that allegorically whilst explaining that there is another
free open source game heading in that direction and if we dont leave some
difference between that game and this one, I should when taking the high
ground that this is this game's list not the other game's list be kind of
vague as to what that other game might be?

> this is a bit harder than you let on :) what about overhead view? left in
> the dust? I think the physics could take care this without needing to
> change the view.

If there were another game just over the hill it may have that stuff in
hand too. Gee, how to tell two somewhat similar units apart?

> anybody who wants to implement a downhill_attack_bonus option, or a
> line_of_sight option should go for it.

It is certainly very traditional to have options. The more the merrier?

-MarkM-