[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Idea/suggestion: Different heights

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Idea/suggestion: Different heights
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 05:37:17 -0800 (PST)

--- "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [debate moved to freeciv-data, please direct all follow-ups there]
>
> On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> > No responce to the elephant climbing mountain feat,eh ;-)?
>
> Hannibal did, sort of, cross the Alps with overweight elephants.

I know. I was hoping to get a responce out of you claiming that European
mountains are impassable.

> > I'd like to see anyone get so much as an overgrown rat over any himalayan
> > range. Mind you, living in Oz, we don't have a single decent mountain.
>
> It might make sense to make mountains totally impassable to all land
> torops except those a special kind (F_MOUNTAIN?), like Alpine, Explorer
> and Partisans. This would introduce a rather interesting tactical element,
> I think.

Yes I like it. F_IGTER will do for those units, right?

> > But, in real life, those howitzers could blow away any attacking units long
> > before they even got in range.
>
> Not really. Cannons usually don't obliterate the enemy, but break them,
> demoralise them, scatter them and weaken them up before the usual infantry
> charge. That is why most war games I know use artillery as a kind of
> special unit that temporarily weakens enemy units instead of destroying
> them. There is no concept in freeciv of weakened units, but if there was,
> that would be a quite neat, IMHO, way to reduce to power of artillery,
> aircraft and shore bombardment.

Long term project this, but I love the idea of bombardment.

> I wouldn't take it too far, though, since freeciv isn't a war game...

Funny. I didn't realise sending in my howitzers and mech inf to crush all
resistance was a peaceful way to conquer the world.

> > When you are strong, feign weakness. When you are weak, feign strenght.
> Make your enemy believe you far when close, and close when you are far away.
> Yes, I've read him.
> >
> > It's all a bit impossible to apply in the Freeciv situation. The only
> possible targets for me to attack are cities.
>
> Most cities are usually poorly defended, and with fog of war, easily prey
> to a surprise landing.

No doubt. I'm just saying it is impossible for me to deceive you as to my aims.

> > I'm saying there's no unexpected twists.You won't suddenly have to start
> >building pikemen/with catapaults to deal
> with my marauding knights. There are a few boring winning strategies that
work
> every single time.
>
> Alas. That is why I play Starcraft still - it is wonderfully balanced, the
> three "nations" are quite different, and every unit is useful. I wish
> freeciv could be like that. I am willing to help coding what is needed to
> get there, but first we'll need to agre on what must be done to make a
> better (alternative) ruleset.

I'd like to see every unit serve a purpose.

> > strategy cannot be countered. Your only option is to do it better. An
> example
> >
> > The ultimate strategy in endgame
> >
> > 5-6 mech inf
> > As many howitzers as can be built
>
> So how should you be able to counter this strategy?

In real life, I might counter this with aircraft/helis. Or I might use tanks
with mech inf to close and destroy these units in open battle. The point is
that I cannot counter with units specifically able to destroy these in battle.

> > There are others for the ancient era and the industrial age. I don't even
> have to mention them, no doubt you already know it.
>
> Please do mentioned them for completeness.

Ok. Here a few more of the most popular ones

Straight to feudalism for the wonderful pikemen/knight combo, as well as Sun
Tzu. One step to get maths, and you're in a monarchy with catapaults and a
great
defensive unit. People who bother to get phalanx die, very quickly indeed
against this strategy. If you're on the same island as someone following this
strategy, you're dead unless you do the exact same thing.

Musketeers are also great with artillery. In this time period though, ironclads
tend to be very good attackers.

In the modern age, I forgot to mention battleships as well as mech inf,
howitzer.