Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: warnings when compiling with NDEBUG (PR#1216)

To: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: warnings when compiling with NDEBUG (PR#1216)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 16:12:53 +0100

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 10:23:39AM +0000, Ben Webb wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Reinier Post wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 09:18:42PM +0100, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > > NDEBUG disables assert which should make freeciv faster. I'm not sure
> > > how much. So I don't see the benefit of removing it.
> >
> > The name is confusing (it appears to mean !DEBUG).
>
>       Not much we can do about that, as (according to the assert
> manpage) NDEBUG is defined to have this assert-disabling behaviour in the
> ANSI C spec.
>
>       Ben

Thanks.  I didn't even know NDEBUG is standard ANSI C (see

  http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/rat/d2.html

) now I wonder if anything is assumed about DEBUG in ANSI C.
Searching for that, I found

  http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/unleashed/errata/ech07.html

which describes the problem exactly.  Guides such as

  http://www.dpunkt.de/leseproben/3-932588-67-3/Kapitel%207.pdf

suggest to use DEBUG for debug levels, which is what Freeciv does.

So I suppose Freeciv uses NDEBUG and DEBUG in the usual way after all.

--
Reinier