[Freeciv-Dev] Re: new civworld patch out

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: new civworld patch out
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 20:06:47 -0500

At 01:25 PM 02/01/20 +0100, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
>On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, Ross W. Wetmore wrote:
>> As civworld learns how to examine, update and create more of the various
>> Freeciv core server elements, it starts to look more and more like the
>> missing Freeciv server element - the graphical admin console.
>>
>> Either building it into the server, or allowing it to attach to the server
>> usurping the text console channels with significant query/update ability
>> would remove a lot of complaints about the clumsiness of the text-only
>> console flavour for today's visually conditionned users as well as
providing
>> a lot of superior functionality.
>
>I don't see the long-term justification for requiring the use of two user
>interfaces (client and server). In my view, the client should be the only
>interface that it is necessary to use, capable of starting&controlling the
>server and with an editing mode which includes all the functionality
>civworld should have.

In case you hadn't noticed, civworld is based on the Freeciv client.

There is of course a difference between the form of the User interface
and just what program or pipeline it is currently stuck on top of :-).

>For ideas on how to edit server options and rulesets from the client, see
>the console cleanup thread. I'm working on a patch, but it will take some
>time.

You might want to take a look at Civworld.

It is significantly more advanced/mature/bugfree along some directions than
the recent console effort, but there is a lot of room for merging the best
of the two into a proper future vision.

>Yours,
>Per
>
>"What we anticipate seldom occurs: but what we least expect generally
>happens." -- Benjamin Disraeli

Cheers,
RossW
=====