[Freeciv-Dev] Re: new civworld patch out

To: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Mike Kaufman <mkaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: new civworld patch out
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 14:43:02 -0500

At 09:46 AM 02/01/18 -0800, Paul Zastoupil wrote:
>On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 08:29:53AM -0600, Mike Kaufman wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm sure I've been told this before but what's the reason civworld is
>> > not included in cvs?
>>
>> good question. for one, I haven't fought for this yet. for two, there's
>> a lot of code duplication and no nice, clean way to fit it in.
>>
>> A possible way to do it would be to add a bunch (thats _a_lot_) of
>> "#if[n]def CIVWORLD" throughout client and gui-gtk.
>> It's not the most pretty, and is frowned upon right now, but it might work.
>

>I think it would benefit users if it was included in the distro.
>--
>Paul Zastoupil

For a longer term goal/justification, of which this is just the first step ...

As civworld learns how to examine, update and create more of the various
Freeciv core server elements, it starts to look more and more like the
missing Freeciv server element - the graphical admin console.

Either building it into the server, or allowing it to attach to the server
usurping the text console channels with significant query/update ability
would remove a lot of complaints about the clumsiness of the text-only
console flavour for today's visually conditionned users as well as providing
a lot of superior functionality.

And merging in the runtime client ability would give the complete packaging
for a single interface game (hint: think of the view tabs in the new citydlg).

This could do a lot to change the perception of Freeciv as something from
technology's pre-history before "X" and Windows, to a more modern, packaged
look and feel.

Cheers,
RossW
=====