[Freeciv-Dev] Re: new civworld patch out

To: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: new civworld patch out
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 13:25:19 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, Ross W. Wetmore wrote:
> As civworld learns how to examine, update and create more of the various
> Freeciv core server elements, it starts to look more and more like the
> missing Freeciv server element - the graphical admin console.
>
> Either building it into the server, or allowing it to attach to the server
> usurping the text console channels with significant query/update ability
> would remove a lot of complaints about the clumsiness of the text-only
> console flavour for today's visually conditionned users as well as providing
> a lot of superior functionality.

I don't see the long-term justification for requiring the use of two user
interfaces (client and server). In my view, the client should be the only
interface that it is necessary to use, capable of starting&controlling the
server and with an editing mode which includes all the functionality
civworld should have.

For ideas on how to edit server options and rulesets from the client, see
the console cleanup thread. I'm working on a patch, but it will take some
time.

Yours,
Per

"What we anticipate seldom occurs: but what we least expect generally
happens." -- Benjamin Disraeli