[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Managing Long-Term Changes

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Managing Long-Term Changes
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 12:16:39 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Reinier Post wrote:
> > Yes.  There seems to be a consensus on the list to create an 'unstable'
> > branch, but the discussion stopped before all the details were clear.
>
> I believe it stopped short because nobody volunteered to maintain or
> manage that branch. But I'm not sure we need a "manager" for such a
> branch... why not just give the most frequent patchers write access and
> sort out problems as they arise.

        Well, you could always set up something similar to FreecivAC on
SourceForge. (Or you could add the patches directly to FreecivAC, I
guess - we're not too concerned about code stability at present - we
just want to test the stuff.) The only problem for the long term is that
it's hard to keep it in sync with Freeciv proper; if the patches can't be
easily separated out, then it's hard to tell the difference between
FreecivAC patches and Freeciv patches. You'd have similar problems with
any unstable branch, though.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"And do you know Carolina where the biscuits are soft and sweet?"