[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Managing Long-Term Changes

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Managing Long-Term Changes
From: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 11:23:06 +0100

Dear diary, on Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 09:23:54AM CET, I got a letter, where
Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> told me, that...
> > > In fact (a) actually exists. It's on pasky.ji.cz, /home/cvs/aiciv, module
> > > freeciv-a2 ;). Cvsweb access at
> > > http://pasky.ji.cz/cvsweb.cgi/freeciv-a2/?cvsroot=aiciv.
> >
> > I know.  So the problem here is (b).  When and under which circumstances
> > can we/you hope for merger of you and stable branches?  It's a question to
> > maintainers really, not to you...  And before I get a clear answer to this
> > question, I don't really want to invest any effort into it :(
>
> I can't comment because I don't know what is in the tree. If you submit
> changes please seperate them. By type (comment cleanup, variable renaming,
> real code changes,...) is preferred but by file is also ok.
Only PR#1149 is there for now. I decided to go much slower way and don't
forerun official CVS a lot. At least until there will be any real chance to
cleanup AI in official CVS as well :).

If someone will join me, I expect him to make separate things in separate
branches, so we will be still able to make small and specialized patches easily
in order to merge them to official CVS.

This is not a takeover attempt! :-) I just want to have for myself (and offer
to others interested) more development CVS of same project (like even Raimar
suggested ;), which should just help to test more development
not-yet-ready-to-super-stable-CVS patches together and have some version
control even on them. I expect to have this CVS in tight sync with official CVS
and generally only short-term changes there (until they will be tuned and
accepted).

--

                                Petr "Pasky" Baudis

UN*X programmer, UN*X administrator, hobbies = IPv6, IRC, FreeCiv hacking
.
  "A common mistake that people make, when trying to design
   something completely foolproof is to underestimate the
   ingenuity of complete fools."
     -- Douglas Adams in Mostly Harmless
.
Public PGP key, geekcode and stuff: http://pasky.ji.cz/~pasky/