[Freeciv-Dev] Re: CMA 3.0

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: CMA 3.0
From: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 12:04:36 +0100

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 10:45:09AM +0100, Raimar Falke wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 07:25:08AM -0600, Mike Kaufman wrote:

> > > The client options are the presets, right?
> >
> > yes.

> > > Why should the presets be saved on the server?
> >
> > I think Raimar's on crack here. He needs to look at the patch. The
> > _presets_ should not be on the server (just like I think that global
> > worklists should not be on the server, but that's for another thread)
>
> We have to differentiate two things here:
>  - the attributes use to save the parameters as the are set for a
>  city. These have to be saved on the server.
>  - the presets. The presets should be available in 3 scopes:
>    - city wide (including the speacial "last working" preset). Must be
>    on the server.
>    - nation wide. Lifetime is a game. Available for all cities. Must
>    be on the server.
>    - global wide. Lives longer than a game. Must be at the client.

Seems to complicated to me. Another solution:

Only have "global wide" presets saved at the client. Store the
cma_controlled flag and all parameters, per city, on the server
(as it is now). Whenever a client reconnects, it checks whether
its presets match one of the actual cma parameter sets of any
city, and, if so, put the (local) preset name in it. Otherwise,
have the cma condition unnamed.

Whenever a city changes its owner, clear cma flag.

Reasons: Gives most flexibility in evolving and changing my own
cma presets. Possibility of playing different games at the same
time and still being able to evolve my presets. Have as much
intelligence as possible on client side.

> This is a state of my mind. As I said I haven't looked at the
> patch.
>
>       Raimar

Christian

--
* Christian Knoke                           +49 4852 92248 *
* D-25541 Brunsbuettel                  Wurtleutetweute 49 *