[Freeciv-Dev] Re: A bunch of patches

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: A bunch of patches
From: Greg Wooledge <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 06:35:49 -0500

Per I. Mathisen (Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, andi payn wrote:

> > Obsolesence: Currently, once a unit can be upgraded, it becomes obsolete.
> > I've added a second field in units.ruleset that changes this.

> Well then the unit is not really obsoleted, is it? I'd rather see that
> obsoleted_by and upgradable_to are separated, and the latter (or both)
> could be an array. But I don't really see great usefulness for this.

If you don't see the usefulness, it's because you're not a SMAC player.
You can build cheap units to serve as martial-law garrisons, and
upgrade them to *real* defenders on the fly should you be attacked.
Cities on the frontier can build a Warrior for 10 shields, instead of
a 40-shield Rifleman, and then use cash to upgrade it to a Rifleman --
this saves a *huge* number of turns for cities that don't have lots of
shields coming in.

(Of course, without SMAC-style unit workshop and attributes like Trance
(+50% defense in psi combat, where your A/D values are irrelevant)
and Police (+1 citizen made content if your government can have martial
law) and Trained (+1 morale level), you lose a few of the benefits of
this technique.  But it would still be useful.)

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |