[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Managing Long-Term Changes

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Managing Long-Term Changes
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 10:42:52 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Reinier Post wrote:
> > How do ya'll manage long-term changes?  I am getting the impression
> > that a bunch of patches are sitting somewhere outside of the
> > repository and if you work on that section, you apply the patches.
>
> If only it were that organized ...

To be fair, we do have a bugtracking system that we send patches ready for
inclusion to. It is at "bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx". The maintainer
processes this queue of patches for inclusion, so nothing sent there gets
lost. But it is a slow process.

> Yes.  There seems to be a consensus on the list to create an 'unstable'
> branch, but the discussion stopped before all the details were clear.

I believe it stopped short because nobody volunteered to maintain or
manage that branch. But I'm not sure we need a "manager" for such a
branch... why not just give the most frequent patchers write access and
sort out problems as they arise. Perhaps finding someone who can be
"release manager" when that starts becoming an issue. I think the biggest
danger isn't introducing bugs, but turning off developers, and that has
happened a lot the last year(s).

Yours,
Per

"Economics is extremely useful as a form of employment for economists."
 -- John Kenneth Galbraith