[Freeciv-Dev] Re: two map related server options

To: kayeats@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: two map related server options
From: Mike Kaufman <mkaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 00:25:14 -0600

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 09:55:13PM -0500, Karen Yeats wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Currently the map generators remove all 1x1 islands and separate the poles
> from the other continents.  While there are reasons why one would want to
> do these things it can also be quite interesting and fun not to, so it
> seems to make sense to have them as server options which is what this
> patch does.
>
> Tiny islands are interesting strategically since they are unconquerable
> until marines are developped; they also exist in many of the scenario
> maps.  Continents attached to the poles are like real-world Antarctica,
> and can be fun to play with.
>
> (Notice that the default generator doesn't always make any tiny islands,
> so allowing them does not necessarily mean there will be any.)

I like this patch quite a bit. looking at a couple of test maps, I see
that not very many tiny islands are created. I also see that every once
in a while that you get maps that aren't circumnavigatable. interesting.

my only issue with the patch is that the short discription text wraps to
the next line with a normal width xterm. Not that big-o-deal though.

I'm all for making maps more customizable. I personally would like to
see a parameter that sets the "clumpiness" value for terrain (to
produce wide swaths of desert or jungle, for example).

Certainly when we have the capability for bicylindrical maps, the
concept of a "pole" is going to have to be reworked. When this happens I
suggest that the generators get more flexible, i.e. passing in
parameters that change the behavior. Example, to produce maps that have
no concept of "equator" either.

-mike