[Freeciv-Dev] Re: generalized unit capabilities

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: generalized unit capabilities
From: Andrew Sutton <ansutton@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 12:33:38 -0500

On Wednesday 05 December 2001 12:11 pm, Raimar Falke wrote:
> cvs diff -u
> diff -u

gotcha. patch reattached with cvs diff -u. i also rolled back the registry
change since it turns out i didn't need it.

> patch(1) and the maintainers will catch this.
>
> > besides, when has structure ever been a bad thing :)
>
> It is the same as OO: yes it may be better but I still see no benefit
> of the change/problems with the current code.

its nothing like OO. it's still a bitfield. it's just an extended bitfield
with named bytes in addition to named flags. if you don't supply the category
for flags then your bits end up as a 64 bit value. then, this has to be split
on lookups. i guess if you mean the "scoped" names, then you're right, but i
still don't see that as a bad thing.

people have been talking about the desire for generalized unit capabilities
for a while now. you yourself admitted that it was a shortcoming - if not
immediately, then eventually. now you say that there's no benefit? this is
just an additive patch. it won't affect any part of the game that chooses not
to use it...

anybody else have any thoughts?

> I was thinking that the 100 lines would include comments.

just curios. how would you do it?

andy