[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Documentation, Usability and Development

To: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Documentation, Usability and Development
From: Justin Moore <justin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 19:22:33 -0500 (EST)

> > FWIW on a tangent, I am thinking about installing bugzilla, but I am
> > looking for some hardware first.

   What kind of hardware and why?  What is the current hardware and why is
it insufficient?

> Hmmm, i don't think that's a good idea. I find bugzilla's web interface
> way too cluttered and confusing. But don't take my word for it. Just look:

   You can customize what you want to see.  Check out
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/ for a more stripped-down version.
Plus we'd only have a very small handful of things to support, so that
reduces the complexity of it all.

> <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/query.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&product=Bugzilla>
>
> Yikes!

   Ok, bugzilla has bugs.  And?  Looking at the latest version for the PC
and a *nix OS, I see 19 bugs, almost half of which are just wishlist
stuff.  I don't see any showstopper bugs there.

> The only criticisms i have heard about the current bug tracking system are:
> 1) people don't know how to reply to bug reports.
> 2) it doesn't allow you to follow patches, etc.

   It's very unweildy and not well managed as far as I can tell.  It's not
well placed on the web page.  It doesn't easily allow you to download
attachments (as far as I can tell).  The 8-bugs-per-screen is irritating.
I know not all of this is Jitterbug-specific, but I think the system need
to be overhauled.  And Bugzilla is something that has a pretty low
learning curve for users and it pretty well-known in the community.  I'd
even volunteer to help set it up.

Comments?

-jdm

Department of Computer Science, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708-0129
Email:  justin@xxxxxxxxxxx