[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Documentation, Usability and Development

To: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Documentation, Usability and Development
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 13:50:30 +0100

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 04:21:05PM +0100, Petr Baudis wrote:
> Dear diary, on Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 02:59:44PM CET, I got a letter,
> where Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> told me, that...
> > >
> > >    I think the latter is a bit overboard, but I think it should be opened
> > > to anyone who has demonstrated a good amount of knowledge of one
> > > particular part of the codebase as opposed to all of it (aka, "Hi, I'm
> > > John, the map generation unstable maintainer!").
> >
> > OK, and we may need an overall supervisor, someone with a general overview
> > (but not control).
>
> We need a lot of people, but we actually have very few of them, relatively to
> the size of this project, IMHO. So we will either think about who all we need
> and who all we will never get, or actually do something, possibly getting this
> people, without dreaming about them. More open CVS policy would certainly
> help.

Well, this is not a person I was asking about, but a responsibility.
A contact concerning the current state of the development CVS tree.
It might have an e-mail address and a couple of webpages or database
tables associated with it.

> OR the development branch, I would welcome even it in current state, with this
> discussion actually leading to no effect at all.

OK, assuming we're going to have a development branch, here are some
practical questions.

1 Where to put the CVS tree?

  1a same repository, different branch?
     i don't know of any specific advantages - are there any?
  1b different CVS repository on cvs.freeciv.org?
     better from a sysadmin point of view, but you'd still be
     having the same sysadmins (and they read this list)
  1c CVS repository on sourceforge or berlios?
     that way, you'd stick with whatever facilities/policies they offer

2 What to seed it with?

  1a current Freeciv code
  1b nothing

3 Where to put the documentation?
  1a in a dedicated corner on www.freeciv.org
  1b sourceforge/etc

4 What does the documentation look like?
  Which tools to use to maintain it?

5 Who gets CVS write access?
  5a function-related accounts
  5b personal accounts

6 Which system for bug reporting / patch tracking will be used?
  6a Freeciv's
  6b sourceforge/etc

Anything else?

--