[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Documentation, Usability and Development

To: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Documentation, Usability and Development
From: Justin Moore <justin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 13:25:03 -0500 (EST)

> > We *need* a better server interface:
> >     I wrote a TCL/TK thing with bits of C that was adequate, but it
> >     still confused people.  Sticking server controls into the client
> >     would IMO be a good idea, but we definately need to do something.
>
> You know patch from Andreas? Search for "Extended connect dialog
> (PR#977)".

   Digging through the archives and looking at the patch, this seems to be
exactly in the right direction (if I'm reading my gtk correctly).
Andreas, could you revive this patch and update it for current CVS?

> > The units/terrains aren't recognizable:
> >     It takes a while to get to recognize settlers, coal, tundra, etc.
> >     Probably this just needs better artwork.
>
> Which tileset was used.

   I've had this problem with all the tilesets I've used.  As people have
noted, another argument for better documentation (with pictures).

> > Strategic advice:
> >     It would probably be helpful to write a simple set of advisors
> >     to say what techs/production focuses/government etc. would be
> >     best so that you can start playing decently without learning
> >     strategy the hard way.
>
> IMHO this be done better if the people read some docu (yes I know
> nobody read anymore).

   What is the status of the AI advisors?  I see it's kind of hit-and-miss
in the current codebase.  Is anyone working on this?

-jdm

Department of Computer Science, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708-0129
Email:  justin@xxxxxxxxxxx