[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Documentation, Usability and Development

To: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Documentation, Usability and Development
From: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 16:21:05 +0100

Dear diary, on Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 02:59:44PM CET, I got a letter,
where Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> told me, that...
> On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 01:01:24PM -0500, Justin Moore wrote:
> > > Yes, the only solution is to have more maintainers (some have been asked)
> > > or open up CVS write access to anyone with a patch.  I have little
> > > experience with this but opening a second development branch for this
> > > purpose seems to be a proposal with little cost.
> >
> >    I think the latter is a bit overboard, but I think it should be opened
> > to anyone who has demonstrated a good amount of knowledge of one
> > particular part of the codebase as opposed to all of it (aka, "Hi, I'm
> > John, the map generation unstable maintainer!").
>
> OK, and we may need an overall supervisor, someone with a general overview
> (but not control).
We need a lot of people, but we actually have very few of them, relatively to
the size of this project, IMHO. So we will either think about who all we need
and who all we will never get, or actually do something, possibly getting this
people, without dreaming about them. More open CVS policy would certainly help.
OR the development branch, I would welcome even it in current state, with this
discussion actually leading to no effect at all.

--

                                Petr "Pasky" Baudis

UN*X programmer, UN*X administrator, hobbies = IPv6, IRC, FreeCiv hacking
.
  "A common mistake that people make, when trying to design
   something completely foolproof is to underestimate the
   ingenuity of complete fools."
     -- Douglas Adams in Mostly Harmless
.
Public PGP key, geekcode and stuff: http://pasky.ji.cz/~pasky/