[Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv2 kernel,modules and rulesets

To: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv2 kernel,modules and rulesets
From: Andrew Sutton <ansutton@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 11:06:22 -0500

On Monday 03 December 2001 10:52 am, Tony Stuckey wrote:
> > thoughts?
>
>       How easy is this architecture to subvert?
>       Everything from rewriting high score files or save files to system
> compromise.

sorry tony, this is going back to the list. it's a good question ;)

beats me. this is something we'll have to incorporate into the requirements.
the general basis is that anybody with control over their own home directory
or access to the game configuration, etc. can overwrite core files anyway, so
that's probably going to be out of scope.

as for system comprimise, any network protocol runs that risk. we'll just
have to be careful how implement things.

good thoughts :) would anybody like to elaborate on security considerations?
what mechanisms are in fc1? should the carry over to fc2 or do we need to
re-examine these. what about private network concerns. how much thougth to we
want to put into cheating prevention (thru sniffers, etc.). alot of these
issues will be solved implicitly thru good design, but others will require
some real thought.

andy