[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Development Strategies [Was Documentation, Usability

To: Petrus Viljoen <viljoenp@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Development Strategies [Was Documentation, Usability and Development]
From: Andrew Sutton <ansutton@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 10:23:03 -0500

On Monday 03 December 2001 10:17 am, Petrus Viljoen wrote:
> Nearly ALL the scripting engines can do this.
> You simply register the (Exported) function/s to the relavent Engine  and
> any script can call it.

really? i've never written anything with an embedded scripting language.
that's pretty cool :)

> In your case it will be the Configuration functions.
>
> BTW: Since these discussions are mostly Java/C++ for  FC2 should they not
> move to a new mailing list or freeciv-java@xxxxxxxxxxx

good point, but it's not really a port so freeciv-java probably wouldn't be
appropriate. maybe freeciv2-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx.

this is a good question for the list. i'd like to maintain the idea that all
this conversation is for the next generation of freeciv, not a separate
project like object freeciv or freeciv java. the creation of a new mailing
list will create a divide between people interested in v2 and the maintenace
of v1. v2 might lose invaluable input from longtime users who aren't
necessarily interested in developing the new system, but still want to
comment on some ideas that are being tossed around. so, here's the question
for the list:

should we ask the maintainers to create new mailing lists for freeciv2
discussions or keep them here in the original freecive list.

i vote to keep them here for the reason of continuity and community.

andy