[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Development Strategies [Was Documentation, Usability a

To: Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Andrew Sutton <ansutton@xxxxxxx>, gregor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Gregor Zeitlinger <zeitling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Development Strategies [Was Documentation, Usability and Development]
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 10:11:25 +0100

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 06:18:47PM -0500, Daniel L Speyer wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Dec 2001, Raimar Falke wrote:

> > > This last feature is exactly what I was thinking of, though.  Modules move
> > > toward it, but think how many cool things could happen (for
> > > multiplayer) if it were really easy to write really interesting
> > > units.  This would mean interpereted unit capability definitions.
> > >

> > > I think the answer is to move all the unit handling code except for
> > > the low-level map support into the rulesets.  Each unit would
> > > provide its own goto, for example (there would have to be an easy
> > > way to assign a standard one to ordinary units),
> >
> > I'm still not convinced that this is necessary. Not every user has to
> > define another capability. There is no new Civ game every month which
> > can provide us with inspiration. IMHO this whole issue is much more
> > static that you think.
>
> I've thought of a great number of worlds I'd like to build rulesets for,
> but I don't want to go through the work of writing the actions as server
> alterations.  There's nothing all that complicated, but learning the
> server code and writing in C make it a lot of work.  I'm thinking of
> things like Khazad-dum (increases production of all hill and mountain
> squares), healer (restores full health to self and all unit on the same
> square at the end of the turn), or Avalon Priestess (can paradrop three
> squares from a swamp -- OK, so that's a gross misreading of the book, so
> what?).
>
> Most of my ideas come from fantasy novels (there *is* another one of those
> every month ;) ), but other people could be interested in historical eras
> or theoretical devices.  You don't need a new version of enslavedciv to
> get ideas from.

Ok. So there is some creative power ;)

To the implementation: this requires work (you have to teach the AI
about the healer) and IMHO it makes no real difference where and how
you write the code. You may however say that you don't provide AI
support. Than it will become much easier. So easy that you can write a
straight forward <100 lines patch to the current code.

> I think a lot of people might write interesting rulesets if it were easier
> to develop really different units.  When emacs was expandable in TECO, it
> was just a text editor.  When RMS expanded it to use Lisp, it became the
> mail-reader/adventure-game/psychoanalyst/etc. that we know today.

Some people still use it as a text editor ;)

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Life is too short for reboots."