[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Development Strategies [Was Documentation, Usability a

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Development Strategies [Was Documentation, Usability and Development]
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 10:30:44 +0100

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 11:58:11AM -0500, Andrew Sutton wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 December 2001 11:26 am, Reinier Post wrote:
> > There are 2 approaches (if scripting runs in the server):
> >
> >  + extend the server command language to support scripting
> >  + expose an API to the gameserver engine to an external scripting language
>
> i'm starting to rethink the idea behind ruleset scripting... the motivation
> is good, but not really practical. the basic idea behind a ruleset is that it
> picks and chooses rules from a predefined set of capabilities. i don't think
> that should change. if you want to add something that introduces something
> completely new, it should be coded. since we're looking at modularity, new
> features shouldn't affect the existing codebase at all.

This depends on how extensible you want that code to be,
and how easy to write.  If it's got to be runtime extensible
you need scripting.  E.g. in pregame you may want to define a new kind
of unit.  This would modify the rules of the game.  However any scripting
used by that unit while the game is running must not be able to violate
the rules of the game set at startup time.

> i think coding features and selecting rules would be a much cleaner
> implementation. besides, then features that want to be integrated into the
> base distribution have to be reviewed.
>
> > If scripts can even introduce new objects, object fields, and associated
> > behaviour, this would be very similar to what Andrew Sutton tries to do.
>
> i'd rather do this with code :)

Yes, probably, however in that case I think you can't do dynamic module

BTW, does ACE run on the Amiga?

--
Reinier