[Freeciv-Dev] Re: curiosity

To: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: curiosity
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 17:46:16 +0100

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 09:07:49AM +0100, Petr Baudis wrote:
> > > Well not solid, but: I dislike C++. I don't want to start a holy war
> > > on this. It just means that you have to define such fundamental
> > > decision very early.
> I agree. I dislike C++ too.
>
> > point  taken ;) for some reason alot of people don't like c++ - or OO at all
> > for that matter. i was that way for a while too, until i was forced to do
> > c++
> > dev at work. now i love it. it's just a great, powerful language - and it's
> > easy to design for :)
> Well, I just don't see any huge benefit in it.  Why C++ objects? What's wrong
> on C objects? Inheritance? You can do it in C too.

Data inheritance is still easy, but you also want to couple data classes
(structs) with the code that uses them (methods), and be polymorphic
(call the foo method on a bar class accepts an object within any subclass
of bar, and calls the foo function defined in either bar or the first
superclass of bar up the injheritance chain that defines it).

> Templates are bloating and
> discouraged anyway. So only benefit is even more bloated and unreadable and
> messy code, we don't have enough of it already?

Switching to C++ means strictly less code, not more, if you use C++ features
only where required.

--
Reinier