[Freeciv-Dev] Re: reqs and languages (was curiosity).

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: reqs and languages (was curiosity).
From: Andrew Sutton <ansutton@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 11:37:53 -0500

so the list boils down to c vs. c++ on the basis of performance and developer
familiarity.

you know what? i went about this wrong. you're supposed to pick the language
after you know what the requirements of you system are. the reason being that
knowing the requirements will help you pick a language suited to the
implementation. we aren't really doing that. we're discussing the finer
points of language without a real basis for decision.

so... here's a short list of requirements. these aren't ranked; they just all
bear the same priority.

- modular
- OO in nature
- extensibility
- performance
- maintainability
- highly available server
- fast server
- portability

both c and c++ allow implementations with the above requirements - in as much
as the performance of c(++) applications is faster than java applications.
however, OO in c is really ugly and defining OO capabilities for c makes the
code less readable (e.g. macro casting) and can contribute to the degradation
of performance. c++ has portability issues because it hasn't been around as
long as c. c and c++ perform equally well (unless you're doing really
complicated stuff).

c++, whether we think so or not, does have standardized tools for common
tasks (STL). additionally, c++ wrappers like ACE provide higher availability
for different platforms making portability a non-issue for c++.

build time is a non-issue.

discussion?