[Freeciv-Dev] Re: curiosity

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: curiosity
From: Gregor Zeitlinger <zeitling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 12:53:38 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 2 Dec 2001, Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa wrote:
> Take this benchmark with a huge pile of salt. I've made some comments to
> the tester and he seems to be a pretty nice guy, but i question the
> interest of some of those benchmarks.
good to know

> The problem of using a language != c is that you always come to a time you
> need to interface to some OS routine and you find out either you can't, or
> that its a fscking pain to do it. Not to mention the fact that your
> program is now coded in more than one language.
ok thats definitely a point for c

> smalltalk:    its dead what can i say?
so what form a technical point of view?

> caml:         obfuscated function declaration syntax.
was my impression too. does it still hold true if you get used to it?

> tcl/tk:               slow.
it's got terrible syntax. note that it wasn't designed to be a programming
language in the first place.

> java:         slow,
not if compiled to native code

> many features, too big (duplicated) API, constantly
>               mutating API, doesn't really offer anything new besides
>               portability,
well many tools

> can't use pointers,
thats a big plus considering pointers are the no.1 source for errors

> ada:          yet another pascal derived product. also suffers from
>               being way too strict.
why is that not an advantage?

> I notice all the new alleged "C-killers" have a similar syntax to C. I
> guess C did do something right after all.
that's not the reasons the designers chose it. It was to attract c
programmers which they have done. It says nothing about c, except that
many people use it, and that doesn't mean it's good or bad.

--
Gregor Zeitlinger
gregor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx