[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Reproducable core dump (PR#1051)

To: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Reproducable core dump (PR#1051)
From: Petrus Viljoen <viljoenp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 16:41:29 +0200

Petr Baudis wrote:

> > > If you must go this route, one idea would be to add a new server
> > > variable, aicheats, that is user-settable.  Enabling it would up the
> > > difficulty.  But I don't think any of the AI's (no matter how
> > > difficult) should cheat by default.
> The difference between normal and hard AI is IMHO mostly in cheating.
> The AI won't be ever so smart as human can be, so it needs other ways
> how to became comparable rival for human.

Personally I HATE games where the AI cheats.
The game rules are simple enough to make the AI challenging even in the end-game
with advantage players.
It already has some advantages us poor humans won't have any time soon.

   * AI can monitor EVERYTHING it can see (it is more aware of the game world
than
     us).
   * AI can do PERFECT micromanagment (It's not lazy, it can review every order
     ,unit , city  every turn and optimize).
   * AI can do some predictions / forecasts to evaluate every decision , We can
     not.

If the AI are allowed to cheat it might get to a point where it is IMPOSSIBLE to
win the AI.

The AI simply needs Tactics & Diplomacy

Easy: AI should tend to be more diplomatic (perhaps even trade with other
players)
less aggressive.
Hard: AI should tend to more aggressive  on Military, Economic & Diplomatic
levels.

Some simple military tactics can give it a definite military advantage over
human
players too.