[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Documentation, Usability and Development

To: Andrew Sutton <ansutton@xxxxxxx>
Cc: Justin Moore <justin@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Documentation, Usability and Development
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 16:24:12 +0100

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 09:14:19AM -0500, Andrew Sutton wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 November 2001 03:14 am, Raimar Falke wrote:
> >
> > I agree with most of the stuff about.
> >

> i wonder if it wouldn't be possible to provide some kind of
> feature/requirement/design tracking for freeciv. it doesn't need to be
> complicated and it doesn't need to be overly thorough.
>
> the feature list could be a simple document that describes the features of
> the current release. it would need to be sectionalized to discuss features of
> each game component. general architecture, server, client, modularity, etc.
>
> requirements would take each feature and break it down into exactly what is
> required by the game: take the following feature/requirement example.
>
> feature: Freeciv supports an unlimited number of nations for players to
> choose from.
>
> requirement(s): The software shall provide the capability to allow an
> unlimited number of nations for user and computer play.

This is a good idea. The question is who will update this list. It
looks like this person doesn't have to be a maintainer. Everybody can
do this. So go ahead.

> the design could just be internal document that can be extracted with tools
> like doxygen - which is, incidentally, how my company has started doing low
> level design documentation for big projects.
>
> and actually, this is a good question. since there's a coding standard update
> going around, why isn't the possibility of using external document generators
> included?

I only have worked with javadoc. So you have to explain it.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Two OS engineers facing a petri net chart: