[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Documentation, Usability and Development

To: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Documentation, Usability and Development
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 16:35:36 +0000 (GMT)

 --- Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > We can also introduce a subclass "reviewer" with no writing
> priveleges but
> > with more ability to influence things.  Like if a reviewer (or two)
> say the
> > patch is good, then the responsible maintainer either has to include
> it or
> > specify why not -- within a reasonable amount of time (say a week).
>
> Sounds to me like useless bureaucracy. What would be a reason for doing
> this?
> The reviewer should be certainly wise person with good knowledge of
> code...
> wait, why he shouldn't be maintainer too, then?

There are people who know a lot about the general structure of the code
and are always on the list.  They should be maintainers.

There are people with detailed knowledge about some parts of code but
with little experience otherwise.  They should be reviewers.

The number of maintainers should probably be limited.  So the amount of
time they can spend reading your patches is limited too.  Reviewers would
help them.

It sort of works in scientific journals and nobody calls it bureaucracy.

G.