[Freeciv-Dev] Re: GTK+ 2.0 client port

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: GTK+ 2.0 client port
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 18:01:24 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Michael Stefaniuc wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 04:19:19PM +0100, Andreas Kemnade wrote:
> > But I don't see how that can handle UTF-8 on all win32 versions.
> Doing wrapper functions (the "Layer for Unicode") for the _W funktions that
> do the MultiByteToWideChar/WideCharToMultiByte voodoo magic on the
> wchar_t strings and call the native _A functions.

        But the MultiByteToWideChar/WideCharToMultiByte functions convert
to and from Windows "wide" characters, aka 16-bit fixed width characters
(UCS2-encoded Unicode, IIRC). UTF8 is a variable-width encoding, which the
Win32 API does not support, as far as I know. So we have to use
libiconv; fortunately it compiles without any problems on Windows systems,
and the same guy that ported the GIMP to Windows makes DLLs available.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"It is quite a three-pipe problem."