[Freeciv-Dev] Re: GTK+ 2.0 client port

To: Michael Stefaniuc <mstefani@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: GTK+ 2.0 client port
From: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 15:24:51 +0100

Michael Stefaniuc writes:

 > > There is one remaining problem: some nation files include strings in
 > > ISO-8859-1(latin1) encoding. Either we strip them to ASCII form or store
 > > them as UTF-8 with the inconvenience this will create in platforms without
 > I vote for store them as UTF-8.
 >
 > > gettext(). How well do Win32 and Amiga cope with UTF-8?
 > Are you kidding? Win32 has a far better Unicode support than Linux,
 > *bsd or what else. I don't know about amiga, but we could link/include
 > libunicode.
How do I print a utf-8 string on win32? I see no support for them.
Unicode: Yes, there are these *W functions, but do they work?

I have written a short test program:
#include <windows.h>
#include <assert.h>
int main()
{
  WCHAR name[MAX_PATH+1];
  assert(GetWindowsDirectoryW(name,MAX_PATH)>0);
  MessageBoxW(NULL,name,L"Windows-Directory:",MB_OK);
  return 0;
}

The assertion fails on win95. With wine it works. So where is the
unicode support in win32??

But at least we can use libiconv to convert the stuff to the codepage
windows uses or tell gettext to do that automatically.

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade