[Freeciv-Dev] Re: GTK+ 2.0 client port

To: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: GTK+ 2.0 client port
From: Michael Stefaniuc <mstefani@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 15:31:25 +0100

Hello,

i'm not a Windows developer nor user, I got the infos while monitoring
the wine-devel mailinglist.

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 03:24:51PM +0100, Andreas Kemnade wrote:
> Michael Stefaniuc writes:
>
>  > > There is one remaining problem: some nation files include strings in
>  > > ISO-8859-1(latin1) encoding. Either we strip them to ASCII form or store
>  > > them as UTF-8 with the inconvenience this will create in platforms
> without
>  > I vote for store them as UTF-8.
>  >
>  > > gettext(). How well do Win32 and Amiga cope with UTF-8?
>  > Are you kidding? Win32 has a far better Unicode support than Linux,
>  > *bsd or what else. I don't know about amiga, but we could link/include
>  > libunicode.
> How do I print a utf-8 string on win32? I see no support for them.
> Unicode: Yes, there are these *W functions, but do they work?
>
> I have written a short test program:
> #include <windows.h>
> #include <assert.h>
> int main()
> {
>   WCHAR name[MAX_PATH+1];
>   assert(GetWindowsDirectoryW(name,MAX_PATH)>0);
>   MessageBoxW(NULL,name,L"Windows-Directory:",MB_OK);
>   return 0;
> }
>
> The assertion fails on win95. With wine it works. So where is the
> unicode support in win32??
This is what MSDN says
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sysinfo/sysinfo_4k55.asp):
Windows 95/98/Me: GetWindowsDirectoryW is supported by the Microsoft
Layer for Unicode. To use this, you must add certain files to your
application, as outlined in Microsoft Layer for Unicode on Windows
95/98/Me Systems

> But at least we can use libiconv to convert the stuff to the codepage
> windows uses or tell gettext to do that automatically.
Why? Windows has it's native function (again from MSDN):
STRCONV( ) Function
Converts character expressions between single-byte, double-byte,
UNICODE, and locale-specific representations.

See
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fox7help/html/lngstrconvlp_rp.asp

bye
        michael

System Administration           Fax.: +49-711-96437-111
Red Hat GmbH                    Email: mstefani@xxxxxxxxx
Hauptstaetterstr. 58            http://www.redhat.de/
D-70178 Stuttgart