[Freeciv-Dev] GTK+ 2.0 client port

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] GTK+ 2.0 client port
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 01:32:00 +0000 (WET)

Hello,

I have been porting the GTK+ client to GTK+ 2.0, and starting with GTK+
2.0 all strings should be stored as UTF-8.
UTF-8 includes ASCII as a subset as you probably know.

Therefore i propose we store all the .po files in UTF-8 format. This will
reduce the miriad of encodings we use in the translation files to just
one. We have to take care to make the server compatible with these
changes.

There is one remaining problem: some nation files include strings in
ISO-8859-1(latin1) encoding. Either we strip them to ASCII form or store
them as UTF-8 with the inconvenience this will create in platforms without
gettext(). How well do Win32 and Amiga cope with UTF-8?

---