[Freeciv-Dev] Re: GTK+ 2.0 client port

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: GTK+ 2.0 client port
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 23:33:35 +0000 (WET)

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Michael Stefaniuc wrote:

> I would use following encodings for:
> - utf8:
>       - in files (savegame, ruleset, nation-files, po)
>       - in the communication between server and client
>       - for the name_orig strings in different structs (unit_type,
>         nation_type etc.)
>       - in the server itself
> - utf16 or utf32 (the native implementation of wchar_t) in the client
>
> We would need to use the local encoding only when getting string imput from
> the user. On older system that don't support displaying of unicode we
> would need to transform the output to an 8bit encoding.

My only problem is this: how many systems our users currently use which
have support for displaying unicode? GTK+ 2.0 still isn't out and the
latest release 1.3.10 has several memory leak bugs to say the least. About
the server how many distributions of Linux for example come with X-Term
or equivalent programs with unicode support?

Because the listed special case may end up being the common case.

---