[Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv is big ...

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv is big ...
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 12:00:58 +0100 (WET DST)

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Karl-Ingo Friese wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Raimar Falke wrote:

> Unix, DOS, OS/2, Windows, Mac OS, BeOS, Amiga, etc.
>
> (source http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/libpng.html)
>

> > We may also convert the xpms to pngs and bundle a png2xpm with
> > freeciv.
>
> Yes. The disadvantags is that in this case the installed version
> still contains the xpms (bad for people with quota).

The issue with using PNG is the Xaw client. The Amiga client IIRC
already uses PNG and its trivial to use PNG in the GTK+ client.

We could use ImLib, but that would add another requirement besides libpng.
I once made a version of the Xaw client which loaded PNGs. The problem is
with colour management. i.e. what to do when you run out of colours. This
is very important to people using 8-bit displays.

I guess i could look into using PNG in the Xaw client again, but i make no
promises.

---