[Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv is big ...

To: freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv is big ...
From: Jason Dorje Short <vze2zq63@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 06:23:42 -0400

Karl-Ingo Friese wrote:

> ... and this is meant literaly. The current CVS tardist takes
> more then 5 MB to download (and seriousely more when uncompressed).
> And even since we all know that HD space is cheap and the modems
> get faster each months, this still looks quite big.

> So the big killers here are the .xpm directories, especialy the hires.
> But even engels is not that small.
>
> Two ideas:
>
> a) Leave the engels tileset out of the main distribution. Maybe I am wrong
>    but I do not think that a significant percentage of the freeciv'lers
>    is using it anymore (personal opinion).

I for one would be very sad if Engels were removed, since trident is too
small and hires is pretty ugly IMO.

What about allowing the user to specify tilesets as an option to
configure?  Something like
  ./configure
would cause all sets to be installed while
  ./configure tilesets=trident,hires
would give you just trident and hires.

jason