[Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: fix for smooth_map (PR#991)

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: fix for smooth_map (PR#991)
From: Jason Dorje Short <vze2zq63@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 11:55:08 -0400

Greg Wooledge wrote:

> Raimar Falke (hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> > >  static void smooth_map(void)
> > >  {
> > > +  int new_hmap[map.xsize * map.ysize];
> >
> > I think that such constructs aren't allow in C. IMHO the size has to
> > be a compile time constant. Either I'm wrong and this is ok for local
> > function variables or it is an gcc extension.
>
> You're correct -- it's not allowed in standard C.  You need to use one
> of the malloc() family, and free() when you're done.

Wow, that's too bad.  I guess I'll fix it - and all of the other places
where I've done the same thing.

I sometimes forget that gcc does lots of "extensions" to standard C.
It's much funner to blame Microsoft for such things.

Is there some combination of gcc options (-Wnnn) that will get gcc to
give an error in this case?

jason