[Freeciv-Dev] Re: More maintainers please!!! (was: Re: Core is_tiles_adj

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: More maintainers please!!! (was: Re: Core is_tiles_adjacent)
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 19:40:35 +0200

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 05:55:47PM +0100, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
>  --- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 04:54:55PM +0100, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
>
> > > So this is the case of editing the patch without understanding it.  I
> > > am
> > > not saying you have to understand it to commit it, but you do have to
> > > understand it to change it (except formatting).
> >
> > No. I think that the maintainers have to understand all code they
> > apply. Or some people from freeciv-dev has to agree that the patch is
>
> yes, "maintainers", not "developers".  Well, if they trust the submitter
> and (s)he says that it's been thoroughly tested.
>
> > least on the paper we have more than one maintainer.
>
> only on the paper.  and what is paper in our world of electronic
> communication?  nothing.
>
> > Since I run all code through indent this is not a problem.
>
> what command exactly?

indent -kr -i2

Note: this command doesn't the whole file.

> what is the policy concerning
>
>   if (true) return;

indent makes this to

> or
>   if (true)
>     return;
> or

>   if (true) {
>     return;
>   }

If I come across such things I add the braces by hand.

> ??
>
> > > I also think that there should be more committing developers
> > > (i.e. those who are ready to review and commit the patches by
> > > _other_ submitters)
> >
> > I don't like the problem of choosing among you (the freeciv-dev
> > readers). It is hard to choose. Maybe the older maintainers can give
> > some advise about "HR".
>
> Sure.
>
> > > There should also be policy of checking developers' own patches,
> > > something like "the developer cannot commit a patch that he made".
> >
> > IMHO there was no violation of this policy yet. Or was it?
>
> I saw several instances of that.
>
> Still right now if you write a patch there is nobody active enough who
> can review and commit it.

Usually I post the patches. I hope I didn't miss one. And yes the last
mistake was a mistake.

> There was Gaute but he is studying now
> (algebraic topology, pah! who needs algebraic topology).

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Just because you put a flag on the moon doesn't make it yours, it just