[Freeciv-Dev] More maintainers please!!! (was: Re: Core is_tiles_adjacen

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] More maintainers please!!! (was: Re: Core is_tiles_adjacent)
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 17:55:47 +0100 (BST)

 --- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 04:54:55PM +0100, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:

> > So this is the case of editing the patch without understanding it.  I
> > am
> > not saying you have to understand it to commit it, but you do have to
> > understand it to change it (except formatting).
>
> No. I think that the maintainers have to understand all code they
> apply. Or some people from freeciv-dev has to agree that the patch is

yes, "maintainers", not "developers".  Well, if they trust the submitter
and (s)he says that it's been thoroughly tested.

> least on the paper we have more than one maintainer.

only on the paper.  and what is paper in our world of electronic
communication?  nothing.

> Since I run all code through indent this is not a problem.

what command exactly?
what is the policy concerning

  if (true) return;
or
  if (true)
    return;
or
  if (true) {
    return;
  }

??

> > I also think that there should be more committing developers
> > (i.e. those who are ready to review and commit the patches by
> > _other_ submitters)
>
> I don't like the problem of choosing among you (the freeciv-dev
> readers). It is hard to choose. Maybe the older maintainers can give
> some advise about "HR".

Sure.

> > There should also be policy of checking developers' own patches,
> > something like "the developer cannot commit a patch that he made".
>
> IMHO there was no violation of this policy yet. Or was it?

I saw several instances of that.

Still right now if you write a patch there is nobody active enough who
can review and commit it.  There was Gaute but he is studying now
(algebraic topology, pah! who needs algebraic topology).

G.