[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] New city dialog (10)

To: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] New city dialog (10)
From: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 23:51:33 +0200

On 2001-09-19 22:05:42, Christian Knoke wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 18. September 2001 22:08 schrieb Daniel Sjölie:
> > Ok, since I like the "release early, release often" motto - here we
> > go again... :)
>
> And here are some comments ...

Great...

> > I've worked with the keyboard shortcuts for the worklist and the
> > transparent units problem... There is still a visible box around all
> > units together but that's not so bad really, right?
>
> No, it's not so bad.
>
> But I would put more space between the units on the units page.
>
> Unit page / unit list button: When you will ever have so many
> units in your city that you need this window (I did), you probably
> want to select *several* units. So I'd suggest not to close
> this window, when *one* unit is selected. Leave it open instead
> until the user closes it.

I don't really care about this... One reason I'd really like to see this
in cvs is so people who does can do their thing...
Since these are new features I don't think they have to be all
they can be before being included, right?
I really only care about the overview and the worklist... I still want
the other features included but I don't use them enough to have any
specific opinions...

> > Help says:
> > Keyboard shortcuts: Home to focus the worklist, End to focus the
> > available list, Up/Down arrows to select previous/next item in
> > worklist or available list, PageUp/Down to move items up/down in
> > the worklist, Insert to insert items from the available list into the
> > worklist and Delete to delete the selected item from the worklist
>
> I think you've got the most out of the keys.
>
> But I liked the PageUp/Down for switching cities, that was cool ...
> This is now used for Current worklist up/down. What about shift-
> arrow for the worklist?

Ah, I forgot to mention that there's accelerator keys for next and prev
buttons now. Thus you move to prev/next city with p/n in the english
version... I think this is good enough - I really like PageUp/Down the
way they are now...

> Also, could you remove the horizontal scrollbar for the available
> items list, which appears sometimes?

I could, but I don't want to... ;)
I would be more botherred by the window changing size all the time than
by some colum disapearing once in a while...
Well, I haven't really thought this through, it might not be so bad, but
I don't have a problem with the way it is now really...
Other opinions?

> The item sorting (straight/reverse) by clicking on the column
> header is useless IMO. More important is a good sorting, like
> Raimer has implemented for the city report change button. I think
> this can be adressed after CVS inclusion.

This is Mikes baby... I agree it can/should be adressed after cvs
inclusion...

> > I did use gtk_widget_grab_focus for Home and End for now... I tried
> > using gtk_widget_set_state at the suggestion of Vasco but I didn't
> > get that to work... Feel free to try to fix that...
>
> Besides its getting better and better, I see some small problems:
>
> When using up and down arrows a lot, strange things happen, i.e.
> switching the pages irregularly.

Uhu? I don't know why this is so...
Any clues/ways to reproduce?

> The mini map sensitivity bug is still there, where there any problems
> with my patch?
>
> The unit page drawing is slow. I have a 200 MHz machine, and
> I really don't want to use it on a slower on.
>
> There is still a memory hole (but smaller). Opening the dialog
> with the units page and closing eats up approximately 100 KB
> X ressources, according to 'ps aux | grep bin/X'.
>
> Keyboard shortcuts for Buy and Change are really needed.

I guess I could add these...

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)