[Freeciv-Dev] [Patch] Exploring triremes getting lost (PR#961)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] [Patch] Exploring triremes getting lost (PR#961)
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 12:38:21 -0700 (PDT)

Well, subject says it all.
Sometimes exploring (X-mode) triremes boldly go out into the open sea and
die.  I hope it ain't no feature.

So I submit the below patch.  Few comments:

-- Since explorer managing is done on the server side, we must be careful
to avoid peeking into unknown tiles.
-- Sometime you can tell that there is a shore nearby because part of the
land tile actually goes over onto the ocean tile.

the above aims are achieved by "is_coast_seen" function.

-- If trireme somehow gets into the open sea and doesn't know where to go
next, it will cancel explorer mode.  At this point it should have enough
movepoints to be taken back to shore.  This is an improvement I think.
-- In the above, if it's AIs trireme, it will not ask for help and will
probably sink. There is no improvement here, but AI is more careful with
letting triremes explore.

-- I also did little cleaning up in gotohand.c.  Sorry if it confuses
those few who'll be reading the patch.

Attached is the savegame I used to test.  Login gregory.

Best,
G.