[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [bug cvs] I want my city walls back ! (improvement_red

To: "freeciv development" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [bug cvs] I want my city walls back ! (improvement_redundant buggy) (PR#906) - please read
From: sebauer@xxxxxxxxxxx (Sebastian Bauer)
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 17:20:42 +0200

Hi!

From: "Sebastian Bauer" <sebauer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > with the CVS snapshot from August 23 (freeciv-cvs-Aug-23.tar.bz2), you
> > can't build city walls if you already possess the great wall *even*
> > after the great wall was obsoleted by Mettalurgy (this is new!). The
> > problem did not exist with freeciv-1.12.0.
>
> Yes, I thought that something like this could happen.
>
> > I'll try to propose a patch if I come to it, but any further help is
> > wellcomed. (As usual :)
> I'll fix it tomorrow, should be easy. But it's too late now.

The problem is a little bit harder than I thought first (only a conceptual
one, though). As soon as you have researched Metallurgy you could build City
Walls again. The reason is that the great walls are obsoletted by Metallurgy
and you haven't reasearched Metallurgy yet. But according to the code a
wonder is obsolete if any player has researched the obsolete tech. I'm
really no player of Freeciv, upto know I thought that a wonder is obsolete
as soon as only the owner researched the tech.

How should I do this right, should a wonder be obsolette if the builder
reaches this tech or if any player research it? The last is this what
Freeciv does now but it seems a little bit strange for my, that why I ask.

bye,
Sebastian Bauer