[Freeciv-Dev] Re: patch: Modified can_build_improvment()

To: Kevin Brown <kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sebastian Bauer <sebauer@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: patch: Modified can_build_improvment()
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 14:10:03 +0200

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 03:28:21AM -0700, Kevin Brown wrote:
> Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 18 Aug 2001, Sebastian Bauer wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > The current version doesn't implement neighter equiv_dupl nor
> > > equiv_repl because of this. I haven't modified yet the functions
> > > wonder_replacement() so this part is still hardcoded.
> >
> >     This is rather more difficult, as you have to check for buildings
> > being in the range of others. (Some combinations are actually impossible
> > to deal with, since the client doesn't have complete information about all
> > cities.) Most of these functions are, however, implemented by my patch - I
> > suggest you take a look at it and consider working with the FreecivAC guys
> > and myself on this.
>
> If the client wants to build something, shouldn't it first query the
> server to see if it's permitted?  Or tell the server that it's going
> to do so and let the server tell it whether or not it worked?  The
> server knows all the rules and has all the information about the game,
> after all.

Currently the client will just send the request and the player will
get the feedback because either something changes or an error message
occur or nothing changes at all.

If the client want to simulate a certain situation it has currently
two options:
 - make a request to the server and wait for the response (which maybe
 will come never). Some actions can be reverted (worker assignment)
 some can't (unit movement).

 - use code from common to perform the same calculations like the
 server. The client may not know everything the server may know. But
 knowledge for example is sufficient for example to accurately
 simulate the production of a city. After the simulation the client
 sends its selected action to the server.

> Seems to me that none of the game intelligence should be in the
> client.
>
> Or perhaps I just don't understand the issues you guys are discussing
> enough to comment intelligently...

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "These download files are in Microsoft Word 6.0 format. After